A report on Artificial Intelligence published by University of Stanford in 2016 – https://ai100.stanford.edu/sites/default/files/ai100report10032016fnl_singles.pdf
List of ‘hot’ areas of current study (quoted, p.9):
- Large-scale machine learning – algorithms to work with extremely large data sets.
- Deep learning – has facilitated object recognition in images, video labeling, and activity recognition
- Reinforcement learning – experience-driven sequential decision-making
- Robotics – train a robot to interact with the world around it
- Computer vision – form of machine perception; automatic image and video captioning.
- Natural Language Processing – systems that are able to interact with people through dialog; machine translation
- Collaborative systems – autonomous systems that can work collaboratively with other systems and with humans
- Crowdsourcing and human computation – make automated calls to human expertise
- Algorithmic game theory and computational social choice draw – handle potentially misaligned incentives
- Internet of Things (IoT) – devices interconnected to collect and share their abundant sensory information
- Neuromorphic – mimic biological neural networks